Mobile App Europe 2014 Notes
Effective QA – Is It Really Necessary
Notes on a keynote by Martin Wrigley (AQuA) at the Mobile App Europe 2014.
QA and testing is all about Risk Management
How much testing do you need to do?
AQuA - App Quality Alliance http://www.appqualityalliance.org/
Mobile App Testing
- To prevent disappointing your customers
- To manage risk of failure (if it does not make any difference - why write it at all?)
- Safeguard brand
- Cannot afford to not get it right
AUuA guide - the essentials of mobile testing
- What do you consider?
- What do you mean by testing?
- What is the structure?
- What tools do you use and why?
- What to test? How much do you test?
##Critical Elements in the test plan
- Unit testing
- Functional testing
- Non-functional testing
- Performance testing (battery and data usage!)
- User testing
- Compatibility testing
- Independent testing (by test team)
##Plan your Testing
- Look at your product and your users to build a plan
- Use resources to help you
##AQuA Testing Criteria
Top 10 Errors
- User interface inconsistency
- Lack of clarity of graphics and text
- Language inconsistency and spelling errors
- Help is not there
- App browsing confusion
- App crashing
- Hidden features
- Network connection: lack of notification
- Screen orientation distortion
- Best practices
- AT&T ARO tool (open source)
- Online Testing Criteria Tool
- The Quality App Directory
- Start with good practices
- Regression testing can and should be automated
- Choose your tools carefully, use the right tool for the right task
- Have someone else do some testing